Consumers are less and less inclined to be bothered by interrupt marketing techniques such as telephone prospecting, display advertising, TV advertising and other ancient techniques. 84% of French people even describe advertising as parasitic content that makes them waste time. The real change in marketing today is not moving from digital or traditional, but rather from interrupt marketing to permission marketing. Designed for the web, inbound marketing is the strategy to adopt to succeed in 2018 and the years to come. Here are 14 techniques that all businesses should use in their inbound strategy …
14. Define the target buying process
Defining the buying process for your audience will allow you to create the right content for each stage.
This will help you find out what kind of content your audience needs to take it to the next stage of the sales tunnel. You will be able to generate leads more easily by gradually breaking down the barriers that prevent them from buying.
13. Engage with your audience
Don’t just post on social media. Behind each profile hides a person. So it’s important to start discussions, and to compliment your audience. The goal here is not to drive conversions directly, but to build awareness. It takes time and there is no way to see an immediate return on investment. Keep in mind that marketing is not just about numbers. It is first and foremost a human-oriented discipline, and our role as a marketer is to understand their behavior and needs.
12. Publish where your audience is
We often hear that the most important thing is to write content of more than 1000 words. Writing 1000 words is good. But writing an interesting and long article requires a lot of resources. So we don’t want to post it on a site where only 10 people will see it. This would be completely unnecessary, both for SEO and for your inbound marketing strategy in general.
In content strategy, context is as important as the quality of content. So post on popular blogs or even directly on social media like LinkedIn and Facebook articles.
11. Blog regularly
Companies that blog regularly receive an average of 77% more traffic and 97% more backlinks than those that don’t. You will therefore be wrong to deprive yourself of it. To succeed in your blog, you must:
- Bring unique information or point of view to your visitors;
- Create an editorial calendar;
- Use catchy titles (click baiting);
- Include visuals;
- Target specific keywords;
- Share articles on social networks.
10. Using social media
There are more than 2 billion active users on social media. It is therefore an essential channel of your Inbound strategy. Use micro-content: images, short videos, and brief thoughts, to tell the story of your start-up. Document rather than create, this will allow you to generate content regularly.
Optimizing your site for SEO will allow you to get better SEO on search engines and by extension, have more visitors to your website.
- Title tags must contain a specific keyword;
- Meta-description tags should encourage clicks;
- URLs must be explicit and short;
- All duplicate content must be eliminated;
- Your site must be organized by theme (silo structure);
- The site must load quickly (3 seconds maximum);
- Pages must not contain a “noindex” tag;
- Your site must be registered with the Google Search Console;
- Your pages must be quality to reduce your bounce rate.
8. Optimizing your landing pages
Optimizing your landing pages is essential to generate leads effectively.
Clearly display your unique selling proposition
Your visitors must understand in 3 seconds what you offer, the advantage of using your service or buying your product. In other words, what problem are you helping your customers solve? Your unique selling proposition should be the header of your page.
Use action buttons
The goal of a landing page is to convert the visitor into a prospect or customer. To do this, you must encourage them to take action with your website. Include an action button above the fold to improve your conversion rate.
Show your credibility
Many start-ups do not convert because they lack credibility. Show your visitors that they can trust you by posting your number of reviews, appearing in a renowned newspaper, celebrity media, and more.
Premium content such as an e-Book, Webinar, or email course is the keystone to the success of your Inbound strategy. This will allow you to exchange this high value-added account, useful for capturing prospect details in your CRM.
6. Create pop-ups to generate leads
Although very controversial, pop-ups are a great way to generate leads for your start-up.
Be careful however, to be effective, they must not be too intrusive and break the user experience. There are 4 forms of pop-ups: banner, modal, slide-in, and full-screen.
And 5 main triggers:
- Page entry: the pop-up window appears as soon as the user arrives;
- Scroll: the pop-up appears when the user scrolls;
- Interaction: appears when a user hovers over or clicks an object;
- Time spent on the page;
- Intention to leave the page: the pop-up appears when the user goes to the top of the page to leave (very effective !!!).
Pop-ups often have a bad image, but used wisely, they are very effective. Sumo, for example, has even discovered that putting their opt-in email form in a pop-up allows them to achieve 10% conversion rate, that’s huge!
For a pop-up to work, there are 3 rules to follow:
- Offer valuable content: content is King;
- Appear at the right time and in the right format: context is Queen;
- Don’t sacrifice user experience.
5. Use a CRM to track prospects
Knowing more about your leads allows you to better communicate and improve your sales.
4. Automate email sequences to keep your prospects warm
Keep your prospects warm by continuing to offer them quality content in order to establish a relationship of trust and increase your credibility.
Your goal is to create and adjust your content to move prospects from one stage to the other in the purchasing process and to break down barriers one after the other. The challenge is to reach the final stage of the sales tunnel, conversion.
3. Create top customer service
According to a Harvard Business Review study, 65% of consumers will talk about their negative experience with customer service in a business. This is why it is important to offer optimal assistance to your customers from day one. Create an FAQ and tutorials to help your customers. Keep in mind that it costs on average 5 times less to retain a customer than to win a new one.
2. Ensure that your offer corresponds to market expectations
All the communication in the world will not allow you to take off your sales if your product is not suited to market expectations. Remember the most important content you have is your product itself. Make it incredible and meet a specific need. This is the basis of marketing.
1. Read my free guide on Inbound Marketing 🙂
If you haven’t created an inbound marketing strategy yet, my eBook will show you how to easily implement one in 7 steps.