Upset by the new uberizing players and bringing a new approach to customer relations, large groups are today forced to adapt. Profound transformations that require rethinking its products, associated services and of course the customer approach. On the occasion of the release of the Sopra Steria Consulting White Paper ” Setting an ambitious and mobilizing course towards the platform company », We offer you a focus on customer-oriented digital transformation.
A book to better prepare your business for digital transformation
Sopra Steria, European leader in digital transformation, has just released a free book to download on their site: “ The 9 major projects of digital transformation “. Ultra comprehensive, the guide offers more than a hundred pages to calmly tackle digital transformation across all professions, through existing operational and functional departments: CMO, COO, HRD, CIO, CIO. To ensure the success of the platform enterprise, organizations must introduce new directions. In this white paper, you will find information that is both strategic and operational, enriched by testimonies from major French companies such as Orange, Engie, Dassault or even from administration such as Pôle Emploi.
To download it, go here
Serving the customer, retaining their loyalty and even engaging them over the long term so as not to be left behind by new entrants
Whatever the activity of your company, it is strongly impacted by the new uses introduced by NATU (Netflix, Airbnb, Tesla, Uber), and other start-ups rooted in digital transformation and surfing on new uses and customer interactions to dominate their market.
NATU has brought a new customer approach by offering ultra personalized, connected and instant services. We are also witnessing a disintermediation where consumers exchange directly with each other (AirBnb for example), leading to a new approach to C2C consumption (consummer to consummer).
We are convinced that large groups can tomorrow be the digital leaders in their markets based on their strengths, namely the multitude of their customers and their employees. Companies must open up and get in motion to position themselves at the heart of their ecosystem.
And this will go through different projects:
- A better understanding of the customer of his motivations and his expectations, to provide adapted responses, which can integrate new technologies (data science, blockchain artificial intelligence, …);
- Personalization of the customer journey based on this knowledge base;
- Ultra personalization of the offer, products and services to move towards the famous 1to1 offering a differentiated and remarkable experience;
- A new approach by designing, above all, an experience more than a product. Customer involvement is therefore essential. The organization creates products with services differently: through service design, agility, co-design with the customer …
- A continuous improvement strategy to personalize the offer and the relationship.
Interview with Malika Kaoua, Partner in charge of the Excellence Client practice at Sopra Steria Consulting.
Hello, Malika Kaoua can you introduce yourself, what is your role at Sopra Steria?
Partner at Sopra Steria Consulting, I am in charge of the Excellence Client practice, which has more than 200 employees / consultants who reinvent the experience of clients of large companies and citizens of large administrations every day in England and in Europe.
In a world that is constantly evolving, digital is a factor of acceleration and requires rethinking the company’s strategy, and placing the customer always more at the center of attention.
It is in this context that I have been supporting the Marketing, Sales and Customer Relations Departments for over 20 years to help them continuously improve the experience they offer to their B2C and B2B customers and to spread customer culture throughout the company.
What motivates me is to lead transformations with high stakes, in multi-competent teams (design, marketing and customer relations, new technologies, management of agile projects), open to the ecosystem (academic world, world of research, startups or new entrants, …) with a vision centered both on people, and an approach driven by the added value.
What are the key steps in a business that wants to put the customer at the center of attention? What is the contribution of digital?
Companies that successfully complete their digital transformation with the aim of being truly customer-oriented have demonstrated that they master excellence at all key stages of their value chain, that they approach prospects differently and that they do not hesitate to launch into new territories by working in an extended network. To achieve this, 4 steps are, in my opinion, necessary.
- Listening to the client to identify everyone’s motivations, expectations and frustrations. The service design methods invite the client, but also the actors in the field, the partners to react on the value propositions to make them evolve.
- Feed on listening to activate 3 levers
- Ensure that the promise customer is well kept at each stage
- Customize offers, services and routes This is the case, for example, in the transport of people where one will be interested in the door-to-door journey and not only in the train or plane journey. As for the design of new services and the evolution of customer journeys, this must take place in short cycles, on agile platforms and via delivery built to support omni-channel industrialization.
- Accelerate customer care and anticipate the tensions: Machine learning, semantic analysis or even artificial intelligence are the innovative devices to master absolutely to be reactive and more efficient. The emotional situation of the client must also be taken into account. This is the challenge taken up by insurers who, in the event of a claim, take care of policyholders in real time thanks to time-stamped and geolocated video conferencing applications which put them in touch with an expert. These new tools also make it possible to anticipate “irritants”: certain telecom operators thus identify customers who have consumed a significant part of their data abroad to offer them an adapted offer, and thus avoid the unpleasant surprise of the bill to their return.
- Approach the prospect by intentions or life projects as far upstream as possible in the value chain. It is a question of being part of a global ecosystem and of identifying the first player which it will naturally approach before buying. It is therefore essential to master the value chain upstream, to capture it as soon as possible and downstream, to offer it a complete and personalized service. A banker could tomorrow offer a customer a car change service in 3 days, including finding the property, financing, parking and maintenance rather than just offering car credit and insurance.
- Engage the customer over time and apart from pure commercial relationshipong>. To achieve this, you must first ensure a level of satisfaction above the standard, a strong promise, and tangible proof of this promise kept at all stages of the relationship. To then position itself as a true partner of the client. This is the case of insurers who, in the health sector for example, offer applications to monitor their health, but also remote teleconsultation platforms, or even home drug delivery services.
How to concretely follow the progress of its digitalization? What are good uses for KPIs?
Faced with ever-increasing demands, it is essential to develop a logic of excellence from start to finish, while ensuring that the company is well aligned at all levels: employees, management methods, general governance , processes and technological tools. It is necessary to follow metrics and KPIs which correspond to it and which make it possible to ensure the progress of the digital transformation:
- Metrics that prioritize customer expectations, rather than metrics in silos inherited from internal processes, or KPIs that favor numbers.
- Metrics that feed on the ecosystems of the company to take into account the intention or the overall project of the client, and which allow all the actors involved to react quickly and anticipate frustrations.
- Metrics that illustrate the symmetry between customer satisfaction and employee satisfaction, because digital transformation puts people back at the heart of the transformation, upsets the fields of possibilities, the modes / methods of collaboration, challenges organizations and reshapes skills.
To return to the White Paper “Setting an ambitious and mobilizing course towards the platform company”, how was it thought out? What will we find there to make concrete progress in its digitalization?
This White Paper is the 2th volume of our reflection on the digital transformation of large companies. The first book “Succeeding your digital transformation project” put into perspective best practices for understanding, measuring the challenges, structuring your information system, your governance and setting up the conditions for success.
This second volume extends strategic thinking by offering a new perspective around a transformation stimulated by an organic business as a platform. It describes and puts into perspective our reflections and those of 10 major players and leaders to calmly engage the challenges of an exciting future.
What is the platform enterprise?
It is a company that positions itself at the heart of its ecosystem and becomes its central player.
With the platform, the company opens up, it shares experience, arouses the desire for change. All this is enabled by digital: open IS is then a real creator of value for the organization.
To be more precise, the platform company is articulated and built on 3 fundamental pillars
- A new concept of governance: we speak of organic governance because it relies on autonomous and empowered cells, multidisciplinary and organized by ecosystem, and whose agility is deployed throughout the company.
- A “customer centric” approach that networks its customers and partners. It is not just for agile and innovative start-ups from digital and digital.
- A “centric collaborator” approach which brings together all the skills of the company and opens up to the outside world and which is symmetrical to its customers.
How to lead this transformation?
We have convictions at Sopra Steria and they are different from what we usually hear: in a word, digital transformation is not only the quest for disruption because it is necessary to preserve the short term.
– Regarding customer approaches, a priority is the defense of the existing customer base and the retention of prospects;
– The war for talent also means detecting and cultivating the talents of the company, and retaining employees by proposing motivating collective challenges;
– The coherence of the transformation requires governance that adapts to the transversality of the challenges. When will the customer experience management team serve end-to-end customer excellence?
In conclusion, If you only had one idea to remember that will guide all your decisions: it is that of the platform company that combines employer promise and customer promise and that requires the organization to strengthen itself in its ecosystem to respond .
A word for the end?
Digital is an essential lever to reconnect with customers to the point of engaging them over time, and to pamper prospects. The only limit is our creativity to innovate.
It is necessary to overcome the constraints of the markets and above all to aim beyond the existing demand rather than positioning oneself according to the competition. The company must dive into the “blue oceans” and experiment with new offers. Thus, it opens up to its customers, employees, ecosystems and innovation, using digital as a real acceleration factor.
Reinventing the experience: a customer at the heart of the strategy
Today the main objective of the digital transformation in terms of customer experience is to enhance its customer capital by developing the value perceived by it.
The customer must really be at the heart of the strategy, as this diagram shows:
Jacques de Peretti, CEO Axa England “We are observing a change in behavior which is pushing to rethink the customer relationship: they want to be able to communicate with their insurer by any means (agency, telephone, internet), and at any time. For simple acts, some policyholders (the famous generation Y) no longer wish to go through an intermediary: online purchase of home insurance, download of certificate, e-repayment, etc. These customers of a new kind must be accompanied otherwise. “
Digitization is also aimed at prospects. Above all, they must benefit from a user experience and a personalized offer! We are talking more and more about individual capital rather than customer capital.
The 9 major projects of digital transformation
In order to discover the 9 major projects of digital transformation and better understand the strategy at your company level, I invite you to click here to download the document for free.