How important is awareness about the company and its activity? Developing its reputation is one of the key objectives of a company if it wants to perform in its market and achieve its objectives. Here is a guide that will guide you to get there…
What is notoriety?
Notoriety is defined as the level of knowledge that an individual has of a company, a brand, a product or a person.
The different types of notoriety
We distinguish :
- Unaided recall (spontaneous recall) representing the number of individuals able to spontaneously cite the name of the product, brand or person. The first brand mentioned corresponds to first-rate spontaneous notoriety, called “Top of Mind”;
- Assisted notoriety (aided recall, roster recall, recognition) expressing the number of individuals designating the name of the product, brand or person, according to a list of names submitted to them;
- The proven recall corresponding to the number of individuals capable of citing certain characteristics of the brand, product or person, proving their identification.
Awareness and brand image
These two close notions are correlated: notoriety depends on the image of the company in question. Before reaching a certain degree of notoriety, it is therefore necessary to first build a brand image.
This is the so-called “marketing approach branding “. This includes the name of the company, its logo, its graphic charter (colors and fonts). This is the foundation that any business, regardless of its industry or the market in which it operates, must have. These elements are not chosen at random, a real creative thinking process is necessary because this will directly affect your potential target, your prospects and your customers and impact the image you send back.
This thinking process touches on several areas, in particular: the aesthetics and constraints imposed by the dissemination media as well as consumer psychology. The goal is for your brand to imbue a memory, ideally positive and differentiating so that we remember you, even better, that we identify with it. The ideal is to arouse emotion:
“Your brand image is first of all an emotional construction. Audiences react much more easily to emotion than to reason, but people like to rationalize their choices. “ Drayton Bird
What is his interest ? Why develop it?
Producing a good or offering a quality service is
well ; make it known to your target audience, it’s rather interesting
with the aim of increasing its turnover. The advantage of having a strong
notoriety is to be able to generate lead easily and therefore ultimately figure
business: future clients are more likely to meet you or
buy your product and have less apprehension because they sort of have
trust yourself and your skills.
It is essential to keep in mind that building awareness is a process that takes place over time and is done in stages. We must adopt a communication strategy precise and defined upstream. There is no valid and effective strategy for any business, it must be built according to:
- Your environment;
- Who are you ;
- What you do ;
- Message to broadcast;
- Financial means at your disposal.
The process prior to defining a marketing and communication strategy consists of market studies, competition, current trends in order to position yourself well on the market and anticipate trends that will make the difference with your target.
Deviating from your strategy can have serious repercussions:
Warren Buffet, great businessman, professor and 21st century American writer
century said: “It takes 20 years to build a reputation and
five minutes to destroy it. ”
This maxim is all the more true today, in a
digital world where everything is known.
By what means to develop its notoriety?
The so-called “traditional” media
Who says develop his notoriety says spread his image, his message to the right target. We often borrow Brian Koslow’s sentence: “The best media is word of mouth. “ (BAO in marketing terms)
This is true, but to some extent. Word of mouth is an effective vector of communication because it generates strong commitment because of the person carrying the message: it is often a friend, a loved one who is trusted. However, this communication channel is difficult for the company to control. Also, it is difficult to measure.
The company seeks to control its image and the message
she wants to send.
We can turn to the so-called “traditional” media such as posters, the press, television, cinema or radio, but these represent a significant financial cost and a diffusion defined over time. Their use is not always relevant. They are most often adapted to B to C companies with substantial resources.
We can also turn to so-called “non-media” communication such as promotional operations in the street “street-marketing”.
But today, the best way for any business,
whatever its sector of activity, to increase its notoriety, it’s good
heard by the presence on digital media. By this we mean:
- Website, showcase or merchant;
- Social networks;
- Specialized blogs.
These media allow the desired message to be disseminated to a
target audience at the right time. This is the field of action of digital marketing.
In order not to get lost and gain efficiency, it is
important to define the strategy appropriate to your need. You have to adopt
strategic choices that will lead to the objectives set. For example,
on which social network to interact? How? ‘Or’ What ? To what
frequency? It’s better to be
guided by experts in the trade than to get started alone is the most
sure to achieve its goals.
Here is an exhaustive list of the advantages of digital marketing:
- Digital marketing allows direct interaction with the customer;
- The information obtained about consumers helps you to adapt the offer and to offer a personalized product or service that meets their needs;
- Digital marketing promotes customer loyalty and satisfaction through a lasting and quality relationship;
- It also saves cost and budget: it costs less to buy a website than to set up a physical store;
- Digital marketing creates 24/7 availability for your business;
- The international opening is facilitated;
- The gain in visibility improves your brand image and makes it possible to reach a wider audience;
- Digital marketing offers many more facilities and possibilities (for the company, but also for employees thanks to teleworking);
- The results on the performance of your company are much more precise thanks to the analysis of KPIs (Key Performance Indicators);
- Digital marketing also makes it possible to target new customers, detect leads and thus differentiate themselves from the competition thanks to a tailor-made strategy.
In summary, the steps to achieve high awareness and a positive image first require the definition of strategies that stem from choice, in order to achieve set objectives. Digital marketing is a great tool to achieve this and is undoubtedly a very effective way today. The ideal formula for gaining notoriety and therefore turnover is to match the right mix between media, non-media and digital strategy.