You have made your decision. You will learn the digital marketing with MOOC because it’s cool and it’s a job for the future. But there is a big problem. Which platform and which training to choose? I show you everything in this article…
MOOC is the English abbreviation for the terms ” Massive Open Online Courses “Or in simplified French” Online course for everyone “(less attractive, right?). Concretely, to follow a training, you no longer need to enroll in a school. With the democratization of the internet (offers, prices, coverage, etc.), courses come to you.
I love MOOCs. They allowed me to acquire new knowledge when I was unemployed with few prospects for the future. Today, thanks to these trainings, I created my own company: La Web Fabrik.
How to choose your MOOC?
Based on the criteria below, I preselected 3 MOOCs:
- Become a multimedia project manager – Digital Marketing;
- Digital Marketing – The challenges and opportunities of digital for the marketing function;
- Digital Marketing: the basics.
To compare the different online training courses offered, I used 4 criteria that I consider very important. (A small summary table will be available at the end of the article.)
- The price ;
- The graduation ;
- The type of training;
- The community.
In addition, I limited my comparison to 3 platforms:
- Openclassrooms (OC);
But be aware that a plethora of platforms offer MOOCs. You can for example choose them on the mooc-French site.
- Openclassrooms : To access the various courses, you have 3 possibilities: either free, but with a limitation (you will not be certified), or by a non-binding subscription at 20 € per month or 300 € / month (subscription compulsory to follow a course). For the details of the offers, it is on this page;
- Udemy : The prices vary according to the courses chosen, between 20 and 200 €. However, the good news is that there are sometimes incredible promotions that CWT Advertising & co’m gives us. I recently bought two courses (SEO and Growth Hacking) for € 20 instead of € 250 in total. A real economy;
- Unow: This site offers two offers. The first possibility is free, but limited access and the second is priced at € 59 with key certification. It also offers offers for companies wishing to train its employees.
Many recruiters look to see if you have degrees or certifications associated with your skills . So this is an important choice when looking for MOOC.
The 3 platforms offer certificates of achievement. These have no value with the state (they are not registered with the RNCP). However, these diplomas have a real interest for your future employers. These certificates represent the validation of your new skills and the assurance of using them in their business.
Big bonus point, Openclassrooms offers for some MOOCs, a diploma recognized by the RNCP and equivalent to baccalaureate + 3 / + 4…
The type of training
- Udemy : The courses are mainly in videos, but you have additional articles or resources which are provided;
- Unow : The site also relies on videos (more fun and lively) for lessons, but exercises or activities are also to be performed;
- Openclassrooms: The training courses offered by this platform are in videos, in text (for those who remember better by reading), with exercises and even oral presentations before a jury made up of professionals.
The MOOCs have brought us flexibility and freedom in how we learn new skills. However, during our learning, we need help and support for better assimilation. The 3 platforms are not at the same level from this point of view.
Openclassrooms and Unow offer real support through exchanges on forums between participants, with training experts or mentors who follow your journey on the OC site. As for the Udemy site, there is no support or mutual aid. You are alone in front of your screen. You will be looking for help elsewhere …
To summarize all this and help you choose, I have made a comparison of offers.
Training online has become trendy, but above all practical, because we learn when and how we want. As for the final choice of your training, it is up to you. It all depends onyour needs, your budget, your commitment, etc.
One thing is certain, always highlight the certifications obtained. This will set you apart from other profiles when looking for a job.
And you, what MOOC did you follow (or will you follow) to train yourself in Digital Marketing?