Since Pinterest is a visual search engine, and an essential social network to build your digital marketing campaign, it is important to understand the best image size options on Pinterest. After all, with the right dimensions for Pinterest, your pins are likely to perform better!
Besides Instagram, Pinterest is probably the most image-rich social network. As a result, many businesses and individuals (especially bloggers) strive to post “pinnable” images. Both Need This Pinterest Image Size Guide
Pinterest image size for profile cover photo: 800 x 450 pixels (minimum)
Because Pinterest doesn’t have cover photos, the profile picture is the primary opportunity for the user to show off who they are. For companies, a logo is usually used. For people, like bloggers, a portrait or personal photo is usually used.
Remember that your profile picture will be displayed as a circle. So try to avoid placing a portrait photo in the cover photo slot. Use a 16:9 aspect ratio landscape photo instead.
Pinterest Image Sizes for Pins
Pinterest has a portrait-oriented layout, which means vertical images with a 2:3 ratio are best suited for the platform.
- Image format: 2:3 (recommended)
- Square pins: 1000 x 1000 pixels (this Pinterest post size is ideal for sharing your Instagram photos on your Pinterest account)
- Recommended size: 1000 x 1500 pixels
- Maximum file size: 20 MB
Maintaining the 2:3 aspect ratio ensures that your brand’s audience sees every detail of the image on their feed. To make sure your longer pins still work well if clipped, consider create long pins with the text centered in the middle of the pin. This still allows Pinterest users to preview your pin and its content. And if you want to create pins with a different aspect ratio, Pinterest crops images from the bottom.
Pinterest image sizes for ads and carousels
Pinterest carousel pins are a great way to showcase different product features or photos, advertise multiple products, or tell a story!
- App install announcements: same specifications as standard pins. A 2:3 aspect ratio is recommended. 1000 x 1500 pixels recommended.
- Carousel Pins and Ads: an aspect ratio of 1:1 or 2:3. 1000 x 1500 pixels or 1000 x 1000 pixels recommended. Up to 5 images can be included in a carousel.
- Shopping Ads: same specifications as standard pins. A 2:3 aspect ratio is recommended. 1000 x 1500 pixels recommended.
Pinterest image size for Stories Pins
Like Facebook and Instagram Stories, Pinterest Story Pins use the full screen format of 9:16. Story Pins can be static images or videos up to 60 seconds long.
- Image format: 9:16
- Recommended size: 1080 x 1920 pixels
- Maximum file size: 20 MB
Pinterest Video Pin Sizes and Dimensions
Pinterest size for videos includes standard, long, vertical, and square format. Here are the ratios for each:
- Standard video pin: 2:3 aspect ratio
- Square video pin: 1:1 aspect ratio
- Long video pin: 1:2 aspect ratio
- Vertical video pin: 9:16 aspect ratio
It is not recommended to place images larger than your blog content area on your website, as large files will slow down your site. A fast-loading website is key to getting traffic from Pinterest and from Google.
- Determine the width of your blog content;
- Create a high resolution image (at least 1000 pixels wide);
- Save your layered file and a high-resolution PNG file;
- Then save a well-compressed JPG that matches the width of your blog content, or smaller like 600px wide for even smaller file sizes.
Finally, remember that the first 50-60 characters are the most likely to appear in user feeds. So make sure your description is straight to the point. And, don’t forget to incorporate keywords for great Pinterest SEO and gain Pinterest traffic fast!
Sources: Tailwind, Hootsuite